Flinn Gallery enriches the Greenwich Library community and the public at large by presenting a diverse range of contemporary art exhibitions and related programs.
In 1928, librarian Isabelle Hurlbutt secured space and funding for a group of local professional artists (Greenwich Society of Artists) to establish a gallery in the original Greenwich Library on Greenwich Avenue, the current site of Saks Fifth Avenue.
In 1960, the library moved to its present location on West Putnam Avenue, the former site of the Franklin Simon women’s apparel store and was named the Hurlbutt Gallery, in honor of its visionary founder, Isabelle Hurlbutt.
In 1999 the library was re-designed by architect Cesar Pelli. The state-of-the art gallery moved to its current location on the 2nd floor of the Peterson Wing and renamed the Flinn Gallery in honor of Stephanie and Lawrence Flinn, The inaugural exhibit was Molly and Walter Bareiss – Sixty Years of Collecting.